Gentest blog

Dipl.-Jur. Roman C. Scholz
 Dipl.-Jur. Roman C. Scholz

Analysis of origins with DNA genealogy

A.D. Sinjawsky has written: "Home is not a geographic concept, but something we all carry inside ourselves."

The story of our ancestors is probably one of the most exciting of all time. It is the story of mankind. For decades the only evidence available to anthropologists and archaeologists were the small amount of bones and objects left behind by our ancestors. Hence, it was not possible to really prove the various theories of evolution. It is only in the past 20 years that researchers have been able to use the DNA of living people as a means of finding evidence of the migrations of their primeval ancestors.

DNA is identical to a degree of 99.9 percent for all people. The remaining 0.1% is the source of individual differences (such as eye colour, certain risks of disease, or deviations with no apparent function). Once in each evolutionary period a harmless, random change in the DNA (mutation) can occur in the section of DNA with no function; this change is passed on to all descendants of the respective person. If the same mutation appears generations later in the DNA of two people, it is clear they have a common ancestor. The comparison of certain sections of DNA (marker genes) in many different population groups makes it possible to trace relationships.

An iGENEA-Test enables you to investigate your origins by means of a simple mucus sample. Your haplogroup, your ancient tribe and your region of origin are determined. The test also includes non-time-limted access to the world's largest DNA-Genealogy-Database. In it you can locate relatives previously unknown to you.

Zurich, 03.08.2013

Archive